Clear biodegradable carrier bag - features
- Eco-friendly clear carrier bag that proudly displays bag contents.
- Manufactured with a bio-additive that accelerates the degradation process.
- 12-month shelf life - designed to then rapidly degrade and biodegrade in landfill.
- Similar strengths and properties to a regular polythene carrier bag during shelf-life.
- Will break down into carbon dioxide (CO2), water, biomass and minerals within a period of a few weeks to 24 months in landfill.
- Recyclable before degradation begins - see 'How to Dispose' section, below.
- Food-safe carrier bag.
Clear biodegradable carrier bag - sizes
- Internal width: 375mm (15")
- Internal height: 450mm (18")
- Bottom gusset: 75mm (3")
- Polythene thickness: 47.5 micron (190 gauge)
- Box quantity: 500 bags
Storage instructions and shelf life
These biodegradable carrier bags should be stored in a cool, dark place in their original packaging to preserve shelf-life, which is 12 months from the date of manufacture.
The bag contains a bio-additive that is designed to accelerate the degradation process, so premature and prolonged exposure to light or heat risks reducing this shelf life.
Biodegradable carrier bags - disposal options
- Recycling - This biodegradable carrier bag can be recycled with traditional polythene bags before it begins to degrade. If the bag has already started to degrade, please do not send it for recycling as it can interfere with recycling streams.
- Compost (Domestic) - This bag may be composted in a home composting unit, although the process will likely be a very slow one. Composting times will depend on composting conditions and the presence of oxygen (an essential element), moisture, heat, mechanical stress and/or microbes.
- General Waste - If recycling is no longer an option (i.e. bag has already started to degrade) and home composting is not an option, this bag can be thrown in the bin as a last resort. It will break down in the upper regions landfill - where exposed to oxygen and mechanical stress - between a few months and two years.
- Industrial Compost - This bag is not suitable for industrial composting (food waste collection), as there will be insufficient exposure to oxygen during this process for the bag to break down properly. If you are looking for bags that fit this process, please see below.
Looking for compostable carrier bags?
If you are looking for carrier bags that can be disposed of in your food waste bin, check out our range of compostable carrier bags instead.